Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Wedding Parade

Habari zenu! Hello friends! First, I must apologize in advance because I meant to bring a stack of letters into town with me to mail for you all, but I grabbed the wrong bag and now they are still in the village without me. I will bring them next week. They are fantastic. . . . Why, you ask? Because they are the product of my birthday. I arrived back in the village around 5 PM to find my village waiting for me. . . . What for? To tell me, "Omoding, you are 24 now. You are old. You must take a wife." And with those words, or chorus, the wedding parade started of eligible bachelorettes. After a few laps around the house, I came out to proclaim: "I don't want a wife." I then proceeded to lock myself in my house and color cards for everyone. What kind of cards? I'll let you find out when you get yours in the mail, but they are really colorful. Think ROYGBIV. Anyways, it is exceptional here in the bush. It cooled off this week and rained at night, as per usual. Also, I facilitated two workshops for the promotion of cooperative learning for two different schools. Success, with delay. I would like to explain the idea of "African time." African time is morning, midday, and evening. If I say the meeting starts at 8:30, people are bound to show up between 10 and 11:30, claiming that it is still morning. I had a cabinet built for my kitchen, and the man told me it would be ready on Thursday. It is now 2 months later. That is African time. So, either I'll be the best time manager when I get back because of my experience or I'll be claiming I'm within the parameters of acceptability because it is still midday. Flexibility. Patience. Humor. I keep them with me at all times. You should, too. Lastly, I want to send a thank you to everyone who sent me birthday messages via facebook or e-mail, and a huge hug Alexis and Bethany for calling me! You don't know how nice it is to hear voices from home. Much appreciated. For real, lastly, everyone should go and see SATC: The Movie for me. I listened to BBC yesterday morning and they played a clip. I was bawling. I miss that show so much. Okay, my internet time is running out. Time to dash. Love and miss you all bunches!

Peace from the bush,
omoding adamg.

1 comment:

Nikki A said...

Hey cuz! Got your letter today! I was reading it to Logan. I'm starting to teach him about life in Uganda and give him his first cultural lesson. We all have the same double helix and our genes are only like .00095 away from each other. So, love being a mom! Hate school (10 classes left). Work is tolerable cuz I know I can go home and see my baby. We'll write and send pics! Love your writing and your goals! Keep the big pic in mind always and enjoy every day. There are no bad days, only good days gone wrong. Love ya lots! Happy Belated B'day! xxxooo Nikki, Brian and Logan