Friday, May 16, 2008

24

Dearest friends and family,
I am now mere days away from my 24th birthday. To commemorate the journey of the last year and to extend that journey into the indefinite future, I wrote a short ditty. . . .

24
Every night tells of 24 hours gone by
A time to look back and ask
"Did I try?"
Whether big or small
Effort is essential
Slash your grass or save the world
We all have infinite potential
And if you find no progress in your day
Have no fear because another try
Is one night's sleep away
Live your life
From the very start
Make yourself known
Because no one else can set you apart
Even if no one hears you shout
Know the world is better with your words
Than a world without
Live every day to its fullest
Hold fast to your pride
So you can say at the end
"Yes, today I tried."

Moving on, this last week found me on my bike. I pedalled my legs off and my heart out to make it to almost all of the 25 schools in my cachement area. It was a successful week. . . . On Tuesday, however, as I reached my first school of the day (20 km from home deep in the bush via a path that washed out after the storms that rolled through), I noticed my tires flat. Punctures; they'll get you. Needless to say, the walk home took me the majority of the day and my capability to sweat excessively helps me to better identify with sponges. Also, this week brought another read through of Beverly Daniel Tatum's book Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the School Cafeteria? It is my "good book" and reminds me to reflect on my privilege and inform my future choices in hopes of change. I can only hope this experience helps me to better understand the world around me. We'll see. I started studying Swahili this week, as well. It is a completely different language from Ateso, and I hope it will better facilitate my interaction with the vendors back at the Harlem Market. I'm not sure if there are any Ateso speakers there, as the Teso people are a tiny ethnic group. . . . Lastly, I want to post my goals online to better hold true to them. If you come and visit, you'll find them posted throughout my house, for emphasis:

1. Find simplicity in life and appreciate it
2. Take care of you mental health and well-being
3. Eat healthy and stay active
4. Learn Ateso, Swahili and refresh your French
5. Be content in your time alone
6. Write anything
7. Start every day with "Today will be a good day" and end by appreciating your surroundings
8. Look at the NYC Subway Map; you'll make it
Okay friends, this is the end of my post. Write more later. Have a piece of cake for me. Love and miss you all bunches.
Love,
Adamg.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Happy 24th Birthday my son, Adam! I texted you before your 12:12 a.m. birth; did you get it? I don't think I can have cake without you. We'll see. You are the most wonderful son; I love you. I am sooo very proud of you. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Adam! I love and miss you so much!
I hope you had a wonderful birthday: ) My next letter is in the mail!