Friday, April 18, 2008

Ore

So, here I write to you, a week into my new African life in Serere, Uganda. Slowly, I rebuild my capacity to be independent in life, learning how to boil water, light lanterns, work the boar hole, etc. My patience, which I believed to already be quite developed, is growing in ways I never thought possible. My house is of great potential, and I am budgeting for the coming months to paint and have furniture made. . . Slowly by slowly. :) The rainy season in Serere is violent, and causes flooding in my home almost on a daily basis, but it gives me a great excuse to mop my floors. I battle the bugs in my home with great force, and I think the war is almost over. At least I hope it is. I will have a new P.O. Box as of this afternoon, so I will post that tomorrow. The P.O. Box I thought awaited me does not exist, or maybe it does? Not sure, but not willing to risk the chance. I must admit I haven't sent any letters for the last week or so, but I plan to start writing again soon, so watch your mailboxes. This week also brought the harsh realization of just how much I miss all the people at home. I appreciate all the comments and bits of support on my blog; they give me the extra push I need to stay motivated. I invite you all to come and stay with me in my little village. I assure you I will feed you quite well, as I live in a fishing village, where the price of fish is the equivalent of 75 cents. Yes, I gut and cook fish every day. Working in food and working with food now brings a new meaning to my life. If anyone wants to send bits of information concerning pop culture, I would greatly appreciate it, as BBC only covers so much. I am almost out of internet time, so I should wrap up. To my friends finishing their first year of teaching, graduating university, student teaching, or simply living day to day, I send best wishes from Uganda. Love you all and miss you bunches.

1 comment: