Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rain keeps falling

I felt the need to write a post concerning my language acquisition here at training because I now identify with the struggle faced by English Language Learners. Today was the Mock Language Proficiency Exam, which tests our ability as volunteers to interact in the local language. As I already explained, Ateso is a Level 4 language comparable to the Slavic languages. In essence, very difficult. Anyways, yesterday I had my lightbulb experience. At some point during the day, I knew how to put nouns and adjectives and verbs (conjugated, at that!) together to make coherent sentences. I was ecstatic at this news because it happened the eve of our mock interview. Staying up all night with my flash cards and grammar manuals, I spoke to the geckos in my mosquito net. My host family remarked at my chatty behavior over tea this morning. They heard every word (not that they understand Ateso, as they speak Luganda) due to the construction of our house. The walls are like any home, raising to just about 8 feet, but after that is nothing. No ceiling. If you thought you didn't have privacy, you didn't get to hear all houseguests and see their every move (think shadows). Too funny. So here I am, mere minutes after my mock interview and I feel the struggle of every kid in America who speaks a language other than English. Cut them slack, because they deserve every bit of it. Language comes at different moments for different children, and they will experience their lightbulb when they are ready. Appreciate their other language (especially if you don't know it) and be patient.

One more story for today: I was trapped inside the pit latrine a few days back. Yes, with the cockroaches (the size of small children) and geckos and the rancid smell of the things twenty feet below the hole I call a toilet. Why, you ask? Because a cow decided to move all 500 lbs of itself in front of the pit latrine door. Now, I am not the strongest person. After a few (more like 25 minutes) the cow moved and I made a successful exit. I told my family about it and their suggestion was to pray next time so that the cow moves earlier. Holy cow now has a new meaning.

As always, I miss everyone like WOAH. Take care and I'll write more soon.

1 comment:

Elliot said...

Hey Adam! I'm so sad I missed your call... again. Now I know what number to look for, so I won't screen (although this time I just missed the call). I can't make international calls from my cell (cuz it's my work cell), but Jesse says there is a way to do internet calling, so I may look into that. I'm glad everything seems to be going well... you are a much braver person than I. I was pissed the other day when I was in a hotel in Philly and there was only luke-warm water in the shower. After reading your posts, I realized maybe I shouldn't complain ;)

I hope everything keeps going well for you. I know you said you can't get GMail... have you tried other email services to see if they work? It would be great to be able to email with ya.

Take care bud.

Elliot