Saturday, March 15, 2008

Half way through training

Dear Friends,
I send best wishes from Uganda. As of now, I sent out letters, but there is no guarantee that they'll arrive. Keep your fingers crossed and check the mail. Back to my status: I'm quite well these days. Each day brings a new experience that helps me integrate into the Ugandan lifestyle. Tea is my new coffee. I forget I'm in Uganda still, but now a stampede of cows reminds me how far away from home I actually am. I eat bananas everyday in some form and can't stomach dairy and meat. I awake at 5:45 to have alone time and do my yoga. Everyone is curious with my whiteness. Kids follow me and touch me to see if I am real. One girl tried to smear my whiteness onto her skin the other day. Women still fall to their knees when I greet them to show respect. Don't worry, I explain to them that it isn't necesary and I understand their respect without falling into the dirt. My hands are no longer soft due to washing my clothes by hand. I no longer mind the cockroaches and geckos because they manifest my mosquito net on a nightly basis. I'm not a backseat driver because I fear to look forward, as I will see a near head-on collision. I constantly jumble my English and French with Luganda and Ateso. I no longer chew my nails because it could lead to worms. I brush my teeth because cavities are not accepted nor treated. I now wear trousers because pants are underwear. I survived food poisoning and am 10 lbs lighter because of it. I go to bed at 9 PM because I have no more energy. My thighs are strong thanks to my pit latrine. My dreams kick ass thanks to my malaria prophylaxis. I have a twin sister to maintain credibility. I'm getting used to constantly being watched, if that is even possible. I see how Ugandan Education is teacher centered, with lecture dominating the day. I conduct workshops on progressive education methods and model styles in the schools. The other volunteers asked me if I'm afraid to be in Uganda, and I answered that I'm more afraid to lose a part of my identity that was so major prior. I'm in awe that I'm actually forgoing reason and taking the long way around. I smile, I make jokes, I laugh, I get sad, I cry, I miss you, I miss the old me, I dream, I aspire, I look forward, I live, I give thanks, I challenge myself to learn, I write you so WRITE ME BACK!

1 comment:

alexisboo said...

ADAM, i miss you so much. your latest post is amazing. it almost made me cry. i've already sent you two letters. hopefully they'll get to you soon. i'm looking into getting a phone card so i can actually hear your melodious voice. it sounds like you are experiencing a lot and taking it all in. good for you. know that you are amazing and capable of ANYTHING and that you are very loved back home.