Sunday, March 2, 2008

First UGA post

Hello people! I write to you from Kampala, UGANDA! I don't have much time, so the post will be short. I am safe and sound and growing more accustomed to my surroundings with each new day. The landscape is breathtaking and I forget that I am in Africa most days only to be reminded by 20 kids running after me screaming MUZUNGU (white person). I have training six days a week to learn Ateso, the language of the Eastern region in country. I speak Luganda at my homestay, a lovely older couple who thinks I am too thin and that my cough is TB. :) I already taught a 4th grade class for the last few weeks and realized how much I miss teaching. I have a great group of volunteers and we are the strength we need for one another. I hope to write another post in a few weeks, so until then, write me. I expect responses to all and any post I send you because a stamp is half a days wages here in Uganda. Send me notes about all occurences in your life and the American society I kind of hate to admit that I miss. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope all is well! Words don't express how much you are missed here, but you should know you're thought about a lot. I have that picture of you, Rachelle, Kara and I at Frida's on my desk at school and look at it every day to remind me of the amazing people in my life. Keep doing great things! I'm sending a postcard soon!

Love,
Em