Wednesday, December 5, 2007

12/5/07: T-Minus 68 days

And so it begins. . . . 

A long while ago, in a distant land lived . . . me. Except that there was no distant land. I'm a native Madisonian trapped in the city coined as "30 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality." A life defined by lake-isthmus-lake. The towering Capitol to taunt me every day, reminding me that I am still in Madison. However, all that changed recently. After a long (think marathon) process, I gained my invitation into the Peace Corps, with service directly for Uganda. Yes, I'm trading in "30 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality" for "The Pearl of Africa." My excitement is of the greatest intensity, and I can't contain myself any longer; thus, I start my Peace Corps blog. 

The Stats:
  • Country: Uganda
  • Date of Departure: February 10, 2008
  • Job Description: Primary Teacher Training

Whatever the reason you find yourself compelled to read my blog, please do speak up. I appreciate dialogue. Anyways, as I find more out about my future commitment to Uganda and its citizens, I'll update. But, for now, I'll think about the necessities of life abroad. What does one need to survive? What is too much? What is not enough? What the hell will I take with me and what will I leave behind?

No comments: